Welcome to Sunday
"Inaction over climate change might have apocalyptic economic costs"
A displaced family is seen seeking refuge on a dry spot in Dadaab, Kenya, November 12. The United Nations and aid groups have launched a massive humanitarian operation in Kenya to assist more than 150,000 people hit by killer floods caused by unusually heavy seasonal rains.(AFP/File/Frederic Courbet)Huge aid operation underway as floods, crocs ravage Kenya, SomaliaNAIROBI (AFP) - The United Nations and aid groups have launched a massive humanitarian operation in Kenya to assist more than 150,000 people hit by killer floods caused by unusually heavy seasonal rains.
Neighboring Somalia, which is on the brink of war, the country's weak government under threat from a powerful Islamist movement, appealed for emergency international aid to help 1.5 million people affected by flooding.
Residents of flood-hit areas of Somalia reported that nine people had been devoured by crocodiles unleashed by raging waters, bringing the death toll from three weeks of flooding to at least 52.
In Kenya, authorities said the death toll had risen to at least 28 with the drowning of five more people in the east, badly hit along with the country's northern and coastal areas.
The five -- two adults and three students -- drowned in Mwingi district after their vehicle was swept away when a river burst its banks, local police chief Stanley Mwita said.
At least 20 people were reported missing in the nearby town of Garissa, about 300 kilometres (185 miles) east of the capital, which was submerged by the floods and was still underwater, officials said.
At least 150,000 people, including nearly 80,000 desperate refugees from Somalia in camps in northeast Kenya, have been forced from their homes by the floods, according to the United Nations and local disaster relief groups.
The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) began on Sunday airlifting emergency supplies to the affected Somalis at the Dadaab refugee camp complex, about 470 kilometers (290 miles) northeast of Nairobi.
Three flights were delivering an initial batch of 25,000 tarpaulins, health kits and 7.2 tonnes of fuel to Dadaab, which has been almost entirely cut off by the floods.
"If the rains continue, we are then facing a humanitarian crisis," UNHCR spokesman Emmanuel Nyabera told AFP, adding that the agency was negotiating with the Kenyan government to move the refugees to higher ground.
At least 100 tonnes of emergency food supplies have been bogged down in Kenya as roads become impassable, according to UN agencies.
Meanwhile, the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) started distributing supplies to some 8,000 newly displaced people, forced from their homes when the River Tana broke its banks and swept through villages and farmlands on the coast.
"With help from the government, we are hurrying to deliver emergency assistance to 8,000 people who were displaced along the River Tana," KRCS head of disaster response Abdi Ahmed told AFP.
The agency appealed on Friday for 7.9 million dollars (6.1 million euros) to assist 300,000 people expected to be affected by the floods in the next three months.
The same day, the UN warned that a dam on the Tana was on the brink of bursting, raising the possibility of controlled releases of water that could hit thousands more who live along its banks.
It also warned that the situation in Kenya and Somalia as well as Ethiopia -- all of which were hit by a scorching drought earlier this year -- is expected to worsen in the coming weeks with some 1.5 to 1.8 million affected.
The onset of rains has compounded problems across the Horn of Africa already brought by the drought as parched soil in the worst-affected areas is unable to absorb the water, officials say.
And, the few crops that survived the drought are being destroyed by flooding, according to the UN World Food Programme.
The floods began in late October, have destroyed major stretches of road, cut off villages and refugee camps, disrupted food supplies, and raised the threat of waterborne disease in the three countries.
The United Nations says the flooding could be the worst in 50 years to hit Somalia, which has had no functioning central authority or coordinated disaster response mechanisms since it was plunged into anarchy in 1991.
Somali Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi, whose administration is also girding for war with a powerful Islamist movement, appealed Sunday for urgent aid to avert a humanitarian catastrophe, spokesman Abdurahman Mohamed Nur Dinari said.
"Without that help, we are facing a disaster where many people will die, not only of floods, but also of disease and food shortages," he told AFP in Baidoa, the government's temporary seat about 250 kilometers (155 miles) northwest of Mogadishu.
Flooding, mudslides in two N.Y. countiesSchools closed, crews responded to thousands of calls
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - Two upstate New York counties remained under a state of emergency Friday as officials began cleaning up from a heavy rain that produced flash floods and highway mudslides.
Dozens of schools in Broome, Chenango and Delaware counties were closed Friday, many because of impassable local roads. Much of the flooding involved creeks and sewers overflowing.
Sections of Interstate 88 east of Binghamton remained closed after mudslides caused a 20-vehicle crash about 6 p.m. Thursday, leaving several people hurt and one seriously injured, said Broome County spokeswoman Darcy Fauci.
A state of emergency continued Friday in Broome and Delaware counties, although Broome County officials had lifted a general travel restriction. A travel advisory remained in effect in Chenango County.
At the height of the storm, the emergency dispatch office answered 3,000 calls including 750 911 calls, officials said. About 350 homes at least temporarily lost electricity.
Multiple cars were abandoned Thursday night in rapidly rising waters. Emergency personnel had to rescue more than 200 residents from their homes or car roofs.
One man was rescued from flood waters after his car was swept away in the town of Fenton, Fauci said. The man, who officials did not identify, clung to a tree until rescuers arrived.
Some drivers trying to leave downtown Binghamton were stuck in traffic for nearly two hours because of flooded intersections.
Most areas around Binghamton received about 3 1/2 to 4 inches of rain, weather service officials said.
"But it doesn't take much when the ground is already saturated," said Dan Padazona, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.
So far this year, the area has received 47 inches of rain.
The current record was set in 1972 when the area got 48.04 inches of rain, said Jim Brewster, meteorologist with the weather service. Records dated back only to 1951.
No more significant rainfall was expected Friday night, Padazona said. The Susquehanna River was expected to crest Friday just above flood stage but not cause any significant problems like it did in early summer.
Broome County was pounded in late June with heavy rains and flooding. During a nearly relentless four-day deluge, the Binghamton area received 7.14 inches of rain, including a record 4 inches in one 24-hour period. During that storm, a culvert failed beneath I-88, ripping the interstate in two and killing two truckers who drove into the chasm.
Elsewhere in the state, Herkimer County also experienced some minor flooding as more than two inches of rain fell and some creeks overflowed, said Hugh Johnson, a meteorologist with the weather service in Albany.
The storm, produced by the same system that caused deadly tornadoes in North Carolina Thursday, grew less potent as it made its way across the state.
The weather service in Binghamton received reports of trees or power lines down in Onondaga, Madison and Oneida Counties. Additional flooding was reported in areas of Chenango, Delaware and Otsego Counties. Most areas had 2 to 2 1/2 inches of rainfall.
Herkimer and Montgomery counties also experienced some high winds, with trees and power lines downed, weather service officials said.
North Carolina officials: $500K in tornado damageRIEGELWOOD, N.C. - A tornado that killed eight people in southeastern North Carolina caused at least $500,000 worth of damage, officials said.
Kip Godwin, chairman of the Columbus County Board of Commissioners, said Saturday that damage assessment teams determined that 13 homes in the Riegelwood area were destroyed. One home had major damage and a couple dozen more had minor damage, he said.
The damage estimate could increase after officials analyze tax values, Godwin said.
The tornado hit a mobile home park in Riegelwood early Thursday. Cleanup efforts continued Saturday as victims tried to uncover some of their belongings.
Also Saturday, a disaster assistance center opened to help storm victims apply for state disaster grants and loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Four children were listed in critical condition at hospitals Friday, and Godwin said Saturday there were no updates on their conditions.
The tornado was part of a devastating line of thunderstorms that killed 12 as they swept across the South. Riegelwood is a small town on the Cape Fear River about 20 miles west of coastal Wilmington.
California to restrict ocean fishingMONTEREY, Calif. - Flying over California's rugged Central Coast, Mike Sutton pointed to kelp forests and rocky reefs just below the water's surface that will soon be off-limits to fishing under one of the nation's most ambitious plans to protect marine life.
"We're trying to make sure our oceans are protected as our land," said Sutton, a marine expert at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Despite intense opposition from many fishermen, California wildlife regulators are creating the nation's most extensive network of "marine protected areas" — stretches of ocean where fishing will be banned or severely restricted.
The first chain of refuges, covering some 200 square miles and stretching from Santa Barbara to Half Moon Bay, just south of San Francisco, is due to take effect early next year. The state plans similar protected zones along the more intensely fished coasts of northern and southern California.
Conservationists say such networks are a new approach to saving the oceans from overfishing. They believe California's plan could serve as a model for other states and countries.
"It's the beginning of a historic shift in how we restore, protect and manage our oceans," said Warner Chabot, vice president of the Ocean Conservancy. "We're doing something that's as historic for the oceans as what Teddy Roosevelt did 100 years ago when he created national parks and forests."
However, the planned restricted areas overlap with some of California's most productive fishing grounds, and commercial and recreational fishermen question whether they're even necessary given the existing array of state and federal regulations.
"We're duplicating conservation efforts unnecessarily," said Vern Goehring, manager of the California Fisheries Coalition. "There are significant actions already under way to prevent overfishing in California."
Fishermen say the no-fishing zones will put more pressure on areas outside the reserves and could lead to increased seafood imports from countries with fewer marine protections.
At Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf, longtime trollers and crabbers say the new restrictions will cripple their industry, hurt fishing communities and leave Californians with less fresh, local seafood.
"We're being regulated out of business," said Mike Rivets, a 70-year-old fisherman for salmon, crab and tuna.
But scientists say more must be done to protect marine life.
A report in this month's issue of the journal Science warns that nearly a third of the world's seafood species have collapsed — meaning their catch has declined by 90 percent or more — and all populations of fished species could collapse by 2048 if current fishing and pollution trends continue.
"We've mismanaged the oceans from abundance into scarcity," said Karen Garrison, an ocean expert at the Natural Resources Defense Council. "We can't protect our oceans without setting aside safe havens where fish can grow big and the whole food web can thrive."
The protected areas will include marine reserves where all fishing will be banned, as well as marine parks and conservation areas that will allow some forms of sport fishing.
All the restricted zones are designed to harbor rockfish, abalone, shellfish and other species that stay in one area, rather than migratory fish such as salmon and tuna. Sea otters and other marine mammals are expected to benefit from the increased food supply.
Governments worldwide have been creating marine sanctuaries with various levels of restrictions for the past 40 years.
In June, President Bush created the world's biggest protected marine area in the northwestern Hawaiian Islands, covering 140,000 square miles of largely uninhabited islands, atolls and coral reefs where commercial fishing will be phased out over the next five years.
Australia created a network of reserves on the Great Barrier Reef last year. South Africa and New Zealand are working on plans to protect coastal fisheries.
The Fish and Game Commission voted for the Central Coast preserves in August after two years of negotiations between fishermen, conservationists and coastal residents. Conservation groups had sought even greater restrictions, but were generally pleased with the outcome.
Many fishermen, however, are embittered.
"They felt betrayed by the process. They felt that all their input was ignored," said Bob Fletcher, who heads the Sportfishing Association of California.
In the Central Coast port of Morro Bay, Darby Neil is worried about the fate of Virg's Landing, the charter boat operator his grandfather started more than 40 years ago.
"They've already squeezed us down to nothing," Neil said. "It's already so severe that we really can't take anymore."
Small blaze burns in remote SoCal wildernessLOS ANGELES (AP) — A small blaze burning in a remote area of the Angeles National Forest on Sunday had charred about 100 acres, a fire official said.
The Nowhere Fire was reported Saturday afternoon near the Bridge to Nowhere in a remote area only accessible by foot, said Dee Dechert, a U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman.
No evacuations were ordered and there are no homes in the area of the fire, which was burning on private and public lands within Los Angeles County near the San Bernardino County line.
A handful of firefighters spent the night in the Sheep Mountain Wilderness to monitor the fire and about 200 were airlifted in on Sunday, Dechert said.
The inaccessible terrain, marked by heavy brush, chaparral and scattered timber, is a difficult two-and-a-half hour hike into the forest, she said. Because the terrain is so steep and rocky, it would have been too dangerous for more firefighters to have stayed overnight.
On Saturday, deputies from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department San Dimas station escorted about a half-dozen hikers from the area. Another man and his dog were located early Sunday after they didn't return as planned Saturday night, said Deputy Dave Smail.
"We just evacuated everybody so they don't trapped by the flames," he said.
Dechert said winds expected later Sunday were a concern. The weather around Los Angeles was exceptionally warm for November, with highs in the 90s in some areas.
"We're hoping to get enough firefighters on the scene before the winds do pick up," Dechert said. "There is a decent chance of it spreading."